Yesterday, I did something I've never done before.
It was hard. It was new. And it was totally worth it.
I participated in a Temple to Temple relay. 36 miles divided up between 8 runners. Each leg was a different length, though. Mine was the shortest, 2.65 miles. And it was the very last leg. 2.65 miles may not sound like much, especially when some runners were going 4-7 miles, but for me, it was a lot. The only time I've ever run even 1 mile was in junior high when we HAD TO for P.E.. And I walked half of it back then. But I really wanted to do something for myself, and really wanted to get to know some of the other girls that were going to be running on my team, so I said I'd do it. And guess what?! I loved it!
And guess what else?! All my past excuses for not doing things were totally exposed as exactly that--excuses.
So, now I'm thinking... what are some regular excuses that keep me from doing things?
Perhaps some are the same for you. If so, don't use them again. :)
1. Lack of Confidence: I heard a quote in one of my classes that totally called me out on this. It said something about how we don't deserve to be confident in anything until we've tried it enough times to be confident in it. I'll try to get ahold of the actual quote and who said it. My problem was that I wasn't trying in the first place, and I was using my inexperience as an excuse not to. Don't do that!
2. My Kids: This one was HUGE for me! I'm just as clingy to my kids as they are to me. But even if you're not, it can be so hard to get away from the demands of being the mom and do something without them. But, you'll be happier if you do! And if mom's happy...
Besides. It can even be fun for the kids. My husband and kids were at the beginning and end of my leg to cheer for me. My son held up a bright pink sign that was as big as he is, and he now associates anyone running to be "like mommy!" He even picked out some "exercise shoes" from the shoe store so he could go running with me. :) Find a way for your kids to be involved as your support and get out there!
3. My husband is the one that does stuff-not me: The worst part of this is that as much as I complained to myself about it, I did NOTHING to change it. Yes, it's true-husbands need their outlets (fishing, sports, etc.) And while we know it's good for them, and we may even love being there to support them, we find ourselves saying that "because hubby is always off doing one of his hobbies, we don't get to do anything." Well, the truth is that most likely they are more than willing to support us in doing something and we just never give them the chance. BAD!! Don't allow yourself to resent your husband's hobbies if you're not willing to come up with some of your own.
So now, here's my challenge to each of you:
Get yourself involved in something. It could be a book club, girls nights, a sporting event, an art class, anything that is going to make you get out of your comfort zone and turn you into a happier, healthier, better person. Make a goal, then DO IT. No more excuses!
Tell us what you're doing so we can support and encourage you along the way!
Good luck! And HAVE FUN!!
No comments:
Post a Comment